Archives For RunRouterCommand

Yesterday I discovered an error in my DownloadRouterConfig application where it would terminate abnormally if a variable (a path name) in the settings.cfg file was left blank.  Should no path name be specified, the application should have used it’s current working directory.  Instead, it just crashed.

In fixing the code, I realized that all my other applications used this same function — so I corrected all of them as well.  (I also took care of a few other miscellaneous things while I was in there.  See the CHANGELOG, if interested.)  If you happen to be using any of these applications to help manage your own Cisco routers, you’ll want to pull the latest code down to prevent any possible errors in the future.

BuildVRFIndex v0.0.9-alpha (2014-03-17) v2.2.3 (2014-03-17) v1.2.0 (2014-03-17)
VRFBackupTool v0.0.9-alpha (2014-03-17)
VRFSearchAndBackup v1.0.1 (2014-03-17)
VRFSearchTool v0.0.18-beta (2014-03-17)

I’ve updated Run Router Command to version 1.10.

My changes to this application pretty much mirror those changes made to the application this one was built from:

Anyway, here is a cut-n-paste of the highlights of changes made between version 1.08 and 1.10:

  • I changed the application to use ‘routers.txt’ instead of ‘routers.lst’ by request since not all users that may be using this application have the ability to make permanent file associations.  Upon further consideration, I decided to take this a step further and allow users to actually set the name of the file they want to use for this function.  I’ve created a variable to define this filename in the source code.
  • I have also improved the error-checking for the files.  I understand that this source code might actually be distributed as a binary and users may not have access to documentation or the source.  I built functionality into the application such that if a required file does not exist, the application will create an example file for the user with instructions on it’s use.  I’m still not certain this is the right approach, but I like the way that it works, in theory.

See my GitHub Repository for this project to learn more.

I’ve updated to version 1.08.

Changes in this version:

  • Updated error checking to include validating `commands.lst` file exists.

See my GitHub Repository for this project to learn more.