Yesterday was a “Spring Holiday” (don’t you dare call it Easter) so I thought I’d make great use of my time off and get some things done around the house. We were expecting a LOT of rain and thankfully it held off long enough for me to get the yard taken care of. However, I decided I was going to tackle a more ominous project: leaky valve gaskets.
So my Friday afternoon started off like this:
And quickly ended like this:
At that point, I just threw my hands up and called it a night. It was a tight fit placing the valve cover back on and I didn’t notice that the gasket had rolled up at this corner so that when I began torquing it down, it cracked the edge of the valve cover. I guess it could have been worse and cracked the head. I could half-ass it and “repair” this a number of ways, but I’m just gonna order a new valve cover and leave it at that. We can chalk this one up to another expensive lesson.
However, assuming I manage to complete this repair WITHOUT destroying anything else, I will still come out cheaper in the long-run than having a mechanic do the job. Of course, I would have a working vehicle again in a tenth of the time.